Wednesday, March 16, 2011

An Experimentation in Real Life - part I

As a young boy i did not read but learnt from people around me - the story of my experiments with truth.

in retrospect, the Mahatma has had a profound effect on me . Maybe not so much in being an ascetic but definitely in terms of beng foolhardly or having the courage to say the right thing sometimes even at the wrong moments. Also in terms of experimenting with life and its various facets only to learn more and more about it and myself.


I grew up constantly hearing people complain that the fast pace and eroding value system of life was rapdily transforming people into more inhuman mehcanical living beings rather than being emotinal beings with a quotient for societal and relational existence. I decided to experiment like Gandhi. Can one individual make a difference? The believers say Yes and the non-believers say Impossible and to me the confused individual it was a puzzle that i had to try to solve.


I put myself in the shoes of an individual everyone would judge. I became the experiment myself to reduce any side effects if any affecting anyone else who would be the subject to the minimum. I put myself on the anvil to be judged because that would reveal the true character of the people of the world in close measure to me.

I decided on a simple activity.. small to be almost unnoticeable and an optional activity for all of us and yet placed at a time of the day that it had the ability to impact manifold events of the day.

I decided to send "Good Morning" wishes to some individuals to see what happened. I chose this because since my childhood i like to wish people and i saw the incidence of wishing and greeting each other reducing around me and it is one small thing i want to revive around me.


At this moment many of those reading this can relate to my good morning and good day wishes that i send online or at times over the sms. Yes these small wishes are the treatment in the experiment. I started by wishing some people regulrly good morning and some also good night through emails. This was strange for many to receive nothing in an email apart from just "good morning have a nice day". It almost felt like spam for many. the responses to the wishes are interesting and make for a separate follow up blog on its own lest this on gets to be too long.


So after almost ten years of running this experiment what do i feel and how has it gone.. ? I wish this was an easy queston to answer.. the very fact that it has taken 10 years to answer reveals a lot. what started as simple wishes has seen many versions and multiple forms also.


The wishes can be sent online through email , through yahoo or gtalk messenger , through social network sites like facebook and twitter. The wishes can also take the mode of the mobile either from the handheld itself or through the internet through sites which give free delivery to mobiles for text messages within a limit.

Thus there are multiple people , multiple modes delivery, and one treatment .. and mutiple interpretations.. we will talk about each of these separately one by one in the following blogs..in the meantime feel free to send your interpretation of the wishes if you were receiving them.

2 comments:

Dwarikanath said...

sounds interesting..waiting eagerly for the results!!!

Anu Sharma said...

Seems like a interesting research process Sir...one of its kind... may reveal some amusing findings and a peep into human behavior...Looking forward for the result :)

Anupama