Saturday, June 20, 2009

Life is Unfair

I work with all types of structures and institutional arrangements and like to say i work on marginalisation issues as well. This experience today beat all of it. I met a 65 year old person today . Nanubhai asked me my well being and when i asked him his well being he bent down to touch my feet. He is 65 has seen more than double of the life that i have seen in 32 years of my life and has successfully navigated through the changes of time and value systems and i am yet to start doing that.
I came as a student to IIMA campus and was first impressed by Nanubhai, a simple sweeper for my dormitory. he would report to duty at 0730 because he came by bus from 15 kms away. his duty started from 0800 but he would start working before that as he did not want to waste time. he was sharp on dot everyday and before 0900 am my room was spanking clean. i never had to tell him and he noticed when he had to clean and wipe the door, when to remove the cobwebs and when to do a more detailed cleaning. His commitment to his job was unmatched and his dedication to his profession was ultimate and to me he is still an ideal of how it is to work with commitment and devotion. i believe he was one of the best teachers for me at IIM and yet he had to bend down to touch my feet. and he taught me humility. and i discovered LIFE IS NOT FAIR.

3 comments:

Quaintzy Patchez said...

heart wrenching! imagine someone so old and respectable bending down to touch your feet!

No Braniner is back here said...

wonderful dear its someitme so strange to see the dedication.. same incident happened with me when i came nirma for first time.. i met peon of prinicpal i was so surprised to see his extraordinary communication skills, he can converse so well in english, so down to earth even though his duties ask him to work for princi although he would never say no to any faculty for any other work.. Mr.Mehta is his name.. maintains level of discipline no matter at which level of person he talks to.. wonderful personality i encountered at just start of my new job!!

jughead - The Mystic Traveller Prince said...

beautiful more reason for me to have faith in NIRMA as a univ..